Many people think that once the open enrollment for health insurance has passed you are locked out and cannot purchase health insurance until the next open enrollment comes up. However, that is not always the case. There is a clause called a Qualified Life Event that will allow you to make purchase health insurance and even make some changes to your policy within 60 days of a qualifying life event.
First let’s look at what is a Qualified Life Event
A Qualified Life Event is a change to your household or insurance eligibility in instances such as these:
• You lose health insurance coverage through an employer, Medi-Cal, or COBRA. You can opt to use the special enrollment period to sign up for health insurance instead of choosing COBRA
• You age out of your family plan – turn 26 or 19 in a child-only policy
• You move to California or move within California to a place that offers additional health plan options
• Have a child or adopt one. This also applies for foster children
• Get married or enter into a domestic partnership
• Lose coverage from Active Military Duty
• Become a Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident
• You have a change in tax credits or cost-sharing reductions
There are many more qualified life events that are listed on the Covered California website where you may be eligible to add health insurance outside of the typical enrollment period.
If you are without health insurance and want to add it but are not sure if you can, give me a call and together we can check your eligibility. For those that are eligible for Medi-Cal, there is no open enrollment period. You can apply anytime or I can assist with that as well. Just contact the office for an appointment or stop by located at Third and Cedar in Atwater.